Space, time and money for writers to develop their ideas
Championing new voices is a key part of what we do, from our writers’ group and scratch night, to our producing of new work, such as Daniel Ward’s multi-award winning The Canary and the Crow.
Our new Next Up programme will build meaningful relationships with even more artists and offer genuine support that we are confident will lead to full commissions in the future.
The following writers joined the programme in 2020, for two years, following an open script submission call-out in the summer:
Each writer in the programme will benefit from:
- A £1,000 payment for the writers’ involvement in our Next Up programme, to support attendance at workshops and readings, geared around the development of a new idea.
- Participation in a number of writing masterclasses, led by world-class playwrights.
- A day working on a piece of their writing with a cast of actors and Middle Child artistic director, Paul Smith, to hear it brought to life and to spend some time getting to know each other creatively.
- The possibility of writing a piece for Out Loud, our scratch night, in association with Silent Uproar.
- Regular online meetings with the Middle Child artistic team and the other associated writers, to develop an idea to be considered for future programming.