We are Middle Child, theatre that makes a noise.
We are a Hull-based company creating gig theatre that brings people together for a good night out with big ideas. We tell untold stories which capture the electrifying moment when the beat drops, mixing original live music with bold new writing. Our events are live and loud, making sense of the modern world.
We are committed to breaking down barriers and ensuring that theatre is affordable and accessible for all. We will set fire to your expectations of what a night at the theatre can be.
We are an associate company of Paines Plough and an Arts Council England national portfolio organisation, supported by Absolutely Cultured and Hull City Council.
”Here's to FUN/LOUD theatre for ppl who don't go because the last time they went was year9 Hamlet and they didn't get it@Steph_Martin_
What is gig theatre?
For us it’s not just abut putting a guitar on stage but about the whole package. We like our audiences to feel like they’ve gone to a gig instead of a piece of traditional theatre, from the moment they walk through the door to the moment they leave, having hopefully stayed for a drink and a dance after the show.
Form-wise, direct address features heavily and the cast acknowledge our audience in this space, in this time and often adlib – think panto! When we perform in pubs and clubs in Hull our audiences are welcome to photograph the show, or go to the bar halfway through. We like our fans to feel relaxed, welcome and as much a part of the night as what they see on the stage. For Middle Child, gig theatre is about the entire live experience and rethinking what a night at the theatre can be.
- We believe that more must be done to attract new audiences to the theatre
- We are a Hull company, and that is vital to our work, our stories and our entire ethos.
- We believe that new work is the most important work. No classics here.
- We tell Northern stories.
- We believe that theatre works best as a social event – with a reason to come early and stay late.
- We believe that women currently have a shit deal in theatre and something needs to be done about it.
- Music is central to our art.
- We want to represent a diversity of voices across our programme.
- We are determined to help increase the diversity of the creatives working in Hull.
- We will look to support other companies with the creation of work however we can.