We are Middle Child, theatre that makes a noise.
We are a Hull-based company creating gig theatre that brings people together for a good night out with big ideas. We tell untold stories which capture the electrifying moment when the beat drops, mixing original live music with bold new writing. Our events are live and loud, making sense of the modern world.
We are committed to breaking down barriers and ensuring that theatre is affordable and accessible for all. We will set fire to your expectations of what a night at the theatre can be.
Our artist development programme, Reverb, ensures that artists in Hull are given top-class development opportunities across disciplines, without having to leave the city.
We are an associate company of Paines Plough and an Arts Council England national portfolio organisation, supported by Absolutely Cultured and Hull City Council.
”There is a disconnect between an industry predominantly based in metropolitan areas and those who feel unheard, those who never go to the theatre, who think it’s not for them, or who have no access. Middle Child is the kind of company that can bridge the gap.Lyn Gardner
What is gig theatre?
For us it’s not just abut putting a guitar on stage but thinking about the whole audience experience. Gigs are live, social experiences that bring people together in a shared space and we acknowledge and play with that.
Direct address features heavily and our audiences are welcome to photograph the show, or go to the bar or the toilet halfway through and catch-up with their friends when they return. We want our fans to feel relaxed, welcome and as much a part of the night as what they see on the stage. For Middle Child, gig theatre is about the entire live experience and setting fire to expectations of what a night at the theatre can be.
- We believe that more must be done to attract new audiences to the theatre
- We are a Hull company, and that is vital to our work, our stories and our entire ethos.
- We believe that new work is the most important work. No classics here.
- We tell Northern stories.
- We believe that theatre works best as a social event – with a reason to come early and stay late.
- We believe that women currently have a shit deal in theatre and something needs to be done about it.
- Music is central to our art.
- We want to represent a diversity of voices across our programme.
- We are determined to help increase the diversity of the creatives working in Hull.
- We will look to support other companies with the creation of work however we can.