A different kind of writer residency
The Concrete Retreat is our new residency programme, focused on creating the perfect conditions for Hull’s most exciting writers and theatre-makers to develop an ambitious new idea.
Invited writers will join us in our idyllic Thornton Street location for one week to shut out the outside world and focus on putting pen to paper, taking an idea and fashioning it into something new.
What are we offering?
- A personal fee plus a research budget to spend on books, plays, trips or tickets relevant to your idea
- Dramaturgical support from artistic director Paul Smith
- Research support from literary manager Matthew May
- Bespoke play library recommendations relevant to your idea
- One year’s access to free rehearsal and private hot-desking space at Darley’s to write or workshop (when available)
- A support network of other writers on the programme
Sign up to our artist development newsletter to be the first to hear about future opportunities.
Who can apply
Concrete Retreat is an invitation-only residency, open to writers who catch our eye through our Writers’ Group or scratch night windows throughout the year.
How to apply
Keep an eye out for opportunities to submit scripts to Out Loud, our scratch night in partnership with Silent Uproar, throughout the year. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram or sign-up to our artist development mailing list.